How Discover’s Cashback Rewards Program Works
Discover offers cards that primarily earn cash back but also one that offers generic airline miles . Discover’s cash back rewards program provides a percentage back on all purchases, with 5% cash back on rotating spending categories and merchants on eligible spending up to $1,500 each quarter and 1% on all other spending.
The following Discover cards earn those cash back rewards:
- Discover it Cash Back
- Discover it Student Cash Back
- NHL Discover it
Several other Discover cards have a different cash-back rewards structure. The Discover it Chrome, Chrome Student card, and Secured Credit Card offer 2% cash back on restaurant and gas purchases and 1% on other spending. The Discover it Business card offers unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
How Long Does It Take To Improve My Credit Score
After opening a secured credit card account, it will take around one to two months for the secured credit card issuer to report it to a major credit bureau, at which point it will begin impacting your credit report and your credit score. Then it takes several additional months before the account’s activity is substantial enough to make a difference. If you maintain a low or $0 balance and manage the rest of your finances well, you could raise your score several hundred points in a year or two, but it’ll depend on your particular situation. If you have a longer credit history with a number of issues, it will take longer. If you have a shorter history, each month’s activity will play a much larger role.
Have A Low Credit Score Compare Credit Cards For Bad Credit
If you have no credit or bad credit and cant meet the minimum credit score for credit card approval of typical cards, you still have options. There are things you can do to help build up your credit rating and some forms of credit that youll still be eligible for in the meantime.
Don’t Miss: What Credit Score Do I Need For Ashley Furniture
How To Improve Your Credit Score
- Use credit often. It might seem counterintuitive, but the more you use your card the faster you can build up your score, so long as you keep up with payments.
- Make payments on time. Your payment history accounts for roughly 35% of your credit score so its important to be consistent.
- Pay your balance off each month. Pay off your balance in full every month to improve your score and save money on interest.
- Mix up your credit types. Make on-time payments on a variety of debts, including credit cards, mortgages, loans and leases.
- Avoid applying for too much credit. Make sure you only apply for credit you absolutely need, since every credit check on your account will drag down your score.
- Keep a low balance on multiple cards. Avoid consolidating your debts onto one card because it can max out your limit and damage your score.
- Dont cancel old credit cards. Instead of cancelling a card you no longer want, you should freeze your account but keep it open. This maintains your total credit amount and the length of your credit history.
- Correct errors in your credit report. Contact the credit bureau if you notice an error on your report and ask it to fix it.
Discover It Cash Back Vs Citi Custom Cash Card
The Citi Custom Cash Card allows you to Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter. Also, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Though there is a $500 cap on 5% cashback spending, there is no need to enroll in Citis eligible spending categories Citi automatically enrolls you in the category that you spend the most in each month. This is much more convenient than Discover, not to mention, potentially much more lucrative: Rather than offering different categories each quarter that may or may not fit your spending habits, Citi offers the same categories throughout the year and automatically enrolls you in the most rewarding one.
The Citi Custom Cash Card also comes with a sign-up bonus, which lets you Earn $200 in cash back after you spend $750 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. This bonus offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back. This card also comes with no annual fee.
All in all, the Citi Custom Cash Card is pretty great if youre looking for a convenient 5% cashback option and are willing to accept a flat sign-up bonus over Discovers Unlimited Cashback Match for new cardmembers in the first year.
You May Like: Why Is There Aargon Agency On My Credit Report
Ive Got Good Credit Why Was I Denied For A Credit Card
Oftentimes you can still be denied for a credit card even though your credit score isnt that bad. This is especially true if your credit score isnt in the mid-700s or better.
Banks approval criteria for each card changes all the time. But common reasons you may be denied a credit card, even if you have a good credit score, include:
- Too much debt
- Too much available credit
- Too short of a credit history
- Recent late payments, charge-offs, or other negative items
If your credit score is in the high 600s, you may still get approved for some of the leading card offers, but this is where you have to be careful. Youre more likely to be approved if you have a year or two of on-time payments and very little credit card debt. If your score is lower than 700 because youve missed payments or have a lot of revolving debt, your approval chances are lower.
Dont apply for new credit if you have recent late payments or big balances on your existing credit cards. Even if you pay your cards in full each month, that big balance from the month you went on vacation could look like debt to a banks computers. The best time to apply for a new credit card is when:
- Your current card balances arent too high
- You have not missed a payment in the last two years
- You have not recently applied for other credit
How To Pick A Discover Credit Card
Finding the best credit card for your needs can feel overwhelming. First, dont assume each credit cards basic features or fee structures are the same. For example, some cards charge foreign transaction fees and some dont. Not all cards offer the same types of rewards, or necessarily any rewards at all.
Potential cardholders should examine spending before settling on a card that earns rewards to see which card is likely going to return the most when it comes to rewards. Those considering applying for a Discover card should also consider comparing additional benefits with cards outside of the Discover networkcards from one issuer often offer variations on a theme with extra benefits and another issuers lineup may be more appealing to you. With Discover specifically, for example, acceptance outside of the U.S. is not as strong as other card networksso a Discover card is not likely to be the best choice for frequent international travelers.
Don’t Miss: Do Evictions Show Up On Credit Report
Cards For Good To Excellent Credit
If you have a credit score in the good to excellent range, you will likely be able to qualify for a card that earns you rewards for your spending. However, not all rewards cards have the same credit requirements, so its still a good idea to do some research before you apply.
For example, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® has excellent rewards and comes with multiple perks. But this $550-annual-fee card is generally available only to those with excellent credit. Meanwhile a typical no-fee cash back card is likely accessible to anyone with good or very good credit.
No matter your score, the CardMatch tool can give you an idea of which cards you can qualify for.
Lowescom Activate Credit Card
Category: Credit 1. Manage Your Lowes Credit Card Account Log into your Lowes credit card account online to pay your bills, check your FICO score, sign up for paperless billing, and manage your account preferences. Simply use your Lowes Advantage Credit Card login portal, which can be accessed from Lowes.com,
Also Check: How To Remove Car Repossession From Credit Report
Heres The Minimum Credit Score Needed For Each Discover Card:
- Discover it Secured Credit Card: No minimum score, applicants with bad credit are eligible for approval .
- Discover it® Student Cash Back: Available to applicants with limited credit .
- Discover it® Student chrome: Available to applicants with limited credit .
What is the best Discover card for bad credit?
The best Discover card for bad credit is definitely the Discover it® Secured Credit Card. In fact, its really the only Discover card that you can count on getting despite a bad credit score. Heres how it works: When you apply, you place a security deposit of at least $200, which will become your credit line if youre approved. This refundable deposit acts as collateral for Discover, reducing their risk.read full answer
But thats not all you need to know about Discover it® Secured Credit Card. Theres more to learn, both in terms of its benefits and some fine print details.
The Discover it® Secured Credit Card is the best Discover card for bad credit because:
So, Discover it® Secured Credit Card is easy to get and has a lot of benefits. But if you want more options and are open to cards from other companies, you can check out the Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card, the and Indigo® Mastercard® for Less than Perfect Credit. Theyre some of the best overall offers for bad credit.
What Credit Score Is Needed For The Citi Rewards+ Card
Unlike some issuers, Citi does not publish exact guidelines for what credit score you need for the Citi Rewards+ card. However, it is typical that youll need a good or excellent credit score for most rewards credit cards. A FICO score between 740 to 850 is excellent, and a score between 670 to 739 is considered good. So if youre looking for the best odds to be approved for the Citi Rewards+ credit card, youll want to make sure that your credit score is 670 or higher. If your credit score is lower than 670, you may not be approved for the Citi Rewards+ card.
Read Also: Does Applying For Paypal Credit Affect Credit Score
What Credit Score Is Needed For A Credit Card In Canada
Where you sit on the scale will determine your general ability to qualify for lending or credit requests. When applying for a credit card, you can expect the following based on your credit rating:
- Poor. Your credit needs work, but you can potentially qualify for .
- Fair. You may need to build up your score before you can get some forms of credit.
- Good. You could still apply for most cards but may not be eligible for the lowest interest rates.
- Very good. Your score is good enough to be approved for most credit cards.
- Excellent. You should have very few problems getting a credit card, loan or mortgage.
How Many Americans Have A Credit Score Above 800
According to an April 2018 FICO report, 21.8% of U.S. consumers have a FICO score between 800 and 850. The number of Americans with excellent credit continues to rise, as only 16.2% of consumers fell in that sterling score range in April 2005.
Depending on where your credit score currently stands, you may need years to get to the 800 level. Consumers who fall in this range have no negatives on their payment history, as well as a diverse mix of credit accounts that show a positive history of managing different types of credit and loans. These can include but arent limited to credit cards, personal loans, student loans, auto loans, and mortgages.
As depicted in this graph, it takes time to build excellent credit.
The longer you keep your credit lines open and in good standing, the better they look to lenders. Thats because a long history of on-time payments and responsible usage makes you a better credit risk than someone who has only a brief track record of success.
But while you may set a goal to become a member of the 800+ club which is a great goal to have remember that most credit issuers place the cutoff for excellent credit around the 740 mark. That means you can get a lot of the same offers with a credit score above 740 that youd get with a score above 800. That doesnt mean that those extra points wont make your application a tad more attractive to banks and lenders.
Read Also: Derogatory Marks Removed
Compare The Best Discover Credit Cards
|Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases for 14 months||Unlimited 1.5x rewards|
|Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases for 12 months||Unlimited 1.5% cash back|
|Best Cash Back||Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months||5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.||$0|
|Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months||5% cash back on quarterly rotating categories 1% all else||$0|
|Best for Gas and Dining||Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months||2% cash back on gas and dining 1% all else||$0|
|Best Student||Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases for 6 months||5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.||$0|
|Cash back doubled first year 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months||2% cash back on gas and dining 1% all else||$0|
Quick Factsview Rates And Fees
- No Annual Fee, earn cash back, and build your credit with responsible use.
- Using your secured credit card helps build a credit history with the three major credit bureaus. Generally, prepaid and debit cards cant do that.
- Establish your credit line with your tax return by providing a refundable security deposit of at least $200. Bank information must be provided when submitting your deposit.
- Automatic reviews starting at 7 months to see if we can transition you to an unsecured line of credit and return your deposit.*
- Earn 2% cash back at Gas Stations and Restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases automatically.
- Discover is accepted nationwide by 99% of the places that take credit cards.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score.
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back youve earned at the end of your first year! Theres no minimum spending or maximum rewards. Just a dollar-for-dollar match.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
Reports to the three major credit bureaus
Qualify with limited/bad credit
10.99% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 6 months
Get more smart money moves straight to your inbox
Read Also: How To Get Credit Report Without Social Security Number
Other Factors That Affect Your Credit Card Application
- Issuers like to see that you have a history of good credit. This includes making debt repayments on time and in full, avoiding carrying a balance for too long and using varying forms of credit responsibly.
- Utilization. This is the balance that youre currently using on one single credit card compared to that cards credit limit. A general rule of thumb is to keep your credit card debt to 30% or less of your spending limit.
- Employment status. While credit card issuers typically prefer people to have full-time employment, you could still be eligible for some cards if you work part-time, are self-employed or if you have a pension or other source of steady income.
- Income vs expenses. When you apply for a credit card, you will have to provide information about your current income, spending habits and any existing debts to help issuers determine whether you can manage more credit.
What Credit Limit Will I Receive
|Minimum Credit Limit|
An average limit of $3,670.93 might seem quite low but its important to remember that a lot of people with low credit apply for these cards. If you look at people who have a credit score of 700+ the average credit limit jumps to $5,858.82. Its also possible to request a credit limit increase which will only be a soft credit pull as long as you follow some basic rules.
Also Check: Bby Cbna