How Can I Improve My Credit Score
There are several steps you can take to improve your credit score and increase your chances of being approved for the mortgage deal you need.
As a final note, make a habit of checking your credit report regularly to ensure that the information there is accurate and there are no errors.
Mistakes on your credit report can have an impact on your credit score, so its critical to identify and correct them before applying for a mortgage. This will ensure that your mortgage options are not limited by something thats not your fault.
Why Your Credit Score Matters
There are real benefits to staying on top of your credit score.
Thats because a strong credit score can translate into real perks, like access to a wider range of products and services including loans, credit cards and mortgages. You could also enjoy better interest rates and more generous credit limits. Meanwhile, if your credit score isnt quite where you want it to be, knowing the score is the first step to improving it.
Either way, it pays to know your credit score. Its your financial footprint the way companies decide how financially reliable you are. A higher credit score means lenders see you as lower risk.
What Can You Do With A 721 Credit Score
A credit score of 721 can benefit borrowers when its time to secure a new personal loan, home loan, apartment rental, credit card, or reasonably-priced car insurance policy.
While the lowest interest rates and fees are often reserved for Very Good and Exceptional credit scores, a Good credit score of 721 is sufficient to help consumers obtain financing when they need it.
Reference the below information for more details on the opportunities afforded to you with a credit score of 721.
- Rewards-based credit cards allow qualified consumers to earn hotel points, airline miles, and cash back from nearly any transaction.
- A credit score of 721 is enough to unlock many though not all of the best rewards-based credit cards available today. Still, your Good credit score can unlock cards with 0% introductory financing, retailer-specific perks, and other benefits.
Don’t Miss: Who Uses Transunion Credit Report
What Is A Good Credit Score
What is considered a good credit score? :59
Reading time: 3 minutes
Theres no magic number to reach when it comes to receiving better loan rates and terms
Its an age-old question we get, and to answer it requires that we start with the basics: What is a, anyway?
A credit score is a number, generally between 300 and 900, that helps determine your creditworthiness. Credit scores are calculated using information in your , including your payment history the amount of debt you have and the length of your credit history.
Its also important to remember that everyones financial and credit situation is different, and theres no magic number to reach when it comes to receiving better loan rates and terms.
There are many different credit score models used today by lenders and other organizations. These scores all have the same goal: to predict a consumers likelihood to pay their bills. There are some differences around how the various data elements on a credit report factor into the score calculations.
Although credit scoring models vary, generally, credit scores from 660 to 724 are considered good 725 to 759 are considered very good and 760 and up are considered excellent. Higher credit scores mean you have demonstrated responsible credit behaviour in the past, which may make potential lenders and creditors more confident about your ability to repay a debt when evaluating your request for credit.
How Do Your Actions Impact Credit Scores?
What Are The Factors That Affect Your Cibil Score
Given the significance of your CIBIL score, it is important to ensure that it’s always towards the higher side. To do this, it is vital to be aware of the factors that affect your credit score and control them accordingly. Here are the factors that affect your CIBIL score:
- Your income
- Any defaults, delays, or lapses in previous credit repayment
- Rejections for loans that you have applied for
How To Improve Your Credit Scores
To improve your credit scores, focus on the underlying factors that affect your scores. At a high level, the basic steps you need to take are fairly straightforward:
- Make at least your minimum payment and make all debt payments on time. Even a single late payment can hurt your credit scores and it’ll stay on your credit report for up to seven years. If you think you may miss a payment, reach out to your creditors as quickly as possible to see if they can work with you or offer hardship options.
- Keep your credit card balances low. Your is an important scoring factor that compares the current balance and credit limit of revolving accounts such as credit cards. Having a low credit utilization rate can help your credit scores. Those with excellent credit scores tend to have an overall utilization rate in the single digits.
- Open accounts that will be reported to the credit bureaus. If you have few credit accounts, make sure those you do open will be added to your credit report. These could be installment accounts, such as student, auto, home or personal loans, or revolving accounts, such as credit cards and lines of credit.
- Only apply for credit when you need it. Applying for a new account can lead to a hard inquiry, which may hurt your credit scores a little. The impact is often minimal, but applying for many different types of loans or credit cards during a short period could lead to a larger score drop.
Discover It Chrome: Best For Gas Stations And Restaurants
- What we love about the Discover it chrome: Discovers lucrative cash back match program and the generous rewards on gas and restaurant purchases.
- Who this card is good for: Roadtrippers and people who love a good restaurant meal, since these spending categories are rewarded the highest.
- Alternatives: For even more bang for your buck, especially in dining, the Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards Credit Card is one of the best options on the market.
Jump back to offer details.
Recommended Reading: How Accurate Is Creditwise Credit Score
Credit Score: Personal Loan Options
With a credit score between 700 and 749, youre just one step away from the top rung of the credit score ladder. Working to improve your 721 credit score means getting the best personal loan rates possible. However, interest rates with a score in this range are still ideal. Theyll very from fourteen to sixteen percent, often falling on the lower end of that spectrum.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Best For Travel Redemptions
- What we love about the Capital One Venture Rewards: The unlimited base rewards rate is generous and makes it very easy to rake in miles for travel with everyday purchases.
- Who this card is good for: Infrequent travelers who want to stock up on miles for trips but do most of their spending on everyday purchases.
- Alternatives: The Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card is the no-annual-fee sister card to the Capital One Venture Rewards. The VentureOne is the lower cost alternative, but the base rewards also take a value deduction in exchange for dropping the annual fee.
Jump back to offer details.
Also Check: What Is My Social Credit Score
What Is An Excellent Credit Score Range
Excellent credit score = 740 850: Anything in the mid 700s and higher is considered excellent credit and will be greeted by easy credit approvals and the very best interest rates.Consumers with excellent credit scores have a delinquency rate of approximately 2%.
In this high-end of credit scoring, extra points dont improve your loan terms much. Most lenders would consider a credit score of 760 the same as 800. However, having a higher score can serve as a buffer if negative occurrences in your report. For example, if you max out a credit card , the resulting damage wont push you down into a lower tier.
How Credit Scores Affect The Cost Of A Car Loan
Just because you can get an auto loan with a low credit score doesn’t mean that it’s always a good financial move to do so. Whether or not it’s a good decision depends on your unique situation.
For starters, lenders tend to offer significantly higher interest rates to subprime and deep-subprime borrowers. This can make a car far more expensive than its sticker price might lead you to believe. Here’s a look at the national average auto loan APRs as of Dec. 11, 2018:
|FICO® Score Range|
- If you have a FICO® Score of 720 or higher: You will likely pay a $560 monthly payment. That’s $3,574 in interest over a 60-month car loan.
- If you have a 675 FICO® Score: Your payment would likely be closer to $610. That’s $6,611 in interest alone over the life of the loan — you’d pay $3,000 more in interest than a top-tier borrower.
- If your FICO® Score is 600: You’d probably pay $728 per month. That’s $13,673 in total interest — for the exact same car.
In this case, the difference between fair and good credit scores could literally mean more than $10,000 in additional interest.
You May Like: How To Get Collections Off Of Your Credit Report
Auto Loans For Good Credit
The best rates for auto loans are typically available to people with good-to-excellent credit, but what good credit means to auto lenders can vary. Beyond the base credit-scoring models like FICO and VantageScore, there are also industry-specific scores that lenders could check, such as FICO® Auto Scores.
Even though you may not know which specific score a lender will use, its still a good idea to have an understanding of your overall credit health when shopping around. You can check your credit from Equifax and TransUnion for free on . You can also periodically get a free credit report from each of the three main consumer credit bureaus from annualcreditreport.com.
And yes, its important to shop around! Take some time to compare offers to find the best terms that could be available to you. In particular, the rates offered at car dealerships may be higher than rates you might be able to find at a bank or credit union, or with an online lender.
If youre shopping around for auto loan rates, consider getting preapproved to boost your negotiating power when youre at the dealership. A preapproval letter can be a great way to show car dealers youve done your homework and wont accept a subpar financing offer. Just be aware that it can result in a hard inquiry, which can temporarily ding your credit.
And if you already have a car loan but youve improved your credit since you first got it, you might be able to find a better rate by refinancing.
Credit Score Car Loan Options
A 721 score should easily secure you a car loan. On average, your score should get you an interest rate between 3.6- 4.6 and between and 6 percent on a used car. Scores above 720 are more likely to net you the lower percentage rates.
If you are having trouble getting approved for a car loan with a 721 credit score, you have some options. You can opt for a less expensive vehicle, find a cosigner or make a bigger down payment
Don’t Miss: What Credit Score Do You Need For The Apple Card
What Is A Good Credit Score Range
Good credit score = 680 739: Credit scores around 700 are considered the threshold to good credit. Lenders are comfortable with this FICO score range, and the decision to extend credit is much easier. Borrowers in this range will almost always be approved for a loan and will be offered lower interest rates. If you have a 680 credit score and its moving up, youre definitely on the right track.
According to FICO, the median credit score in the U.S. is in this range, at 723. Borrowers with this good credit score are only delinquent 5% of the time.
How To Check Your Credit Score
Canadians can access their credit scores directly from TransUnion and Equifax for a fee .
Alternatively, companies like Borrowell provide you with free credit scores and it is updated every month at no charge.
Borrowell was the first Canadian company to provide free credit scores in Canada.
In addition to its free credit monitoring service, the company also offers personal loans, mortgages, insurance, credit cards, and investment products.
More than 1 million Canadians have obtained their credit scores through the Borrowell platform.
Is Your Good Credit Score On The Cusp
Note whether your credit score is a few points shy from either the excellent or fair credit range. If your score is only a few points away from excellent, you might include some cards from the excellent credit category in your search. If you are barely into the good credit range, its best to focus squarely on cards in the good credit category to avoid any denials. Either way, be responsible and only apply to cards you can feasibly be approved for, as too many card applications and denials in a short time frame will have a negative impact on your credit score.
Buy A Car Now Or Work On Your Credit
The bottom line is that there is no set minimum FICO® Score to get a car loan. There’s actually a good chance that you can get approved for an auto loan no matter how bad your credit is.
Having said that, subprime and deep-subprime auto loans can be extremely expensive, so just because you can get a car loan with bad credit doesn’t necessarily mean you should. The savings from a moderate score increase can be substantial, so it could be a smarter idea to wait for a bit and work on rebuilding your credit before buying your next car.
Formulating A Plan To Improve Your 721 Credit Rating
First aid foremost, you need to understand that it takes time for you to build up your credit score. Dont expect it to be improved in the next week or the next month, even if you do everything necessary to improve it.
If you have any negative factors on your credit report right now, including a late payment, a bankruptcy, or an inquiry, you may want to pay the bills now and then wait. Remember that time is your ally, not your enemy. In the end, there is no quick fix for rebuilding a credit score. It takes time.
In formulating a plan to rebuild your credit rating, you need to understand how specific actions that you take will harm or hurt your credit score. For example, will working with your creditor to close an existing account in favor of rebuilding a new one with more favorable terms hurt or harm you?
Here are two factors for you to consider: a change to your credit report will affect your credit score , and your score is based entirely on the figures that are already in your report.
A major question that people have is how long it will take for them to improve their credit score. But heres what these people are missing: there isnt anything you can do to boost your actual score. Instead, you can do many things to rebuild your history of credit, and the healthier your credit history, the more elevated your credit score will be.
How To Read Your Cibil Report Or Credit Report
The credit report is a detailed document that highlights your entire credit history and record. It includes your personal information, contact information, employment history, credit limit on various credit cards, credit balances, and dates on which you opened various accounts. Various parties or organisations view this credit report.
Some common parties who may view your credit report are as follows:
- Lenders like banks and non-banking financial companies
Given that it is a comprehensive document with multiple sections, it is important for you to know how to read your credit report. This will help you understand your report better and even check if it does justice to your credit history.
Recommended Reading: Is 585 A Good Credit Score